Thank you for visiting Rainbopedia’s Storytellers project. These videos about the LGBTQ+ experience were created by people from all over the world. Users everywhere can watch curated videos submitted to the Storytellers project, as well as selections from the StoryCorps, Sip of History, and Book of Queer playlists. More videos will be added soon.
If you would like to watch these videos with subtitles in your own language… when playing a video, click on the “Settings” icon, select “Subtitles/CC,” then click “Auto Translate.” A dropdown menu of languages will be displayed. Select your preferred language.
Then sit back, relax, and enjoy!
Coming Out as Bisexual in the 1980s and 90s
Love and Gratitude in the Cosmic Big Bang Part 1
Love and Gratitude in the Cosmic Big Bang Part 2
My Coming Out Story
I Have Four Parents
Jill Gover (known as "Dr. G") and Gilbert Baker
Coming Out to My Japanese Parents
Alex Kofi Donkor
Human Rights Lawyer
Share your story
We all have stories to tell. Rainbopedia wants you to be a Storyteller by creating a video about any part of the global LGBTQ+ experience. It can be about yourself, someone you know, or a historical person, place, or event. Videos will be shared here and on Rainbopedia’s YouTube channel.
Share your story with the world. All you need are your memories and your voice.
Suggestions to Help You Tell an LGBTQ+ Story
- Tell us about what the LGBTQ+ world is like where you live
- Talk about someone who helped you come out
- Describe your happiest or most difficult memory
- Tell us about someone who had a big influence on you
- Talk about what you are most grateful for
- Describe what the LGBTQ+ world was like when you were younger
- Tell us about obstacles you have overcome
- Talk about how your family responded when you came out
- Describe how your life has been different from the one you first imagined
- Tell us about a historical LGBTQ+ person, place, or event
- Assist an elder you know to recount or share their LGBTQ+ story
Submissions must follow YouTube’s Content Guidelines, including:
- Submissions will be curated and a selection will be featured on this site and Rainbopedia’s YouTube channel
- No copyrighted material such as licensed music playing in the background or over the video
- No nudity or overt sexual content
- No excessively sexual or vulgar speech
- Videos can be submitted in any language
- Videos must be a minimum of 30 secs and a maximum of 3 minutes
- Videos must be no larger than 1GB
- Video quality is preferably 720p or 1080p
- Preferred aspect ratio is 16:9 to avoid letterboxing
- Storytellers prefers the MP4 format but the following are also acceptable: .MOV, .MPEG4, .MP4, .AVI, .WMV, .MPEGPS, .FLV, 3GPP, WebM, DNxHR, ProRes, CineForm, HEVC (h265)
- Audio-only stories must be converted to still-image video before submitting
- Audio-only submissions should include a single still image as your video thumbnail
Performers and artists talk about Storytellers
Celebrated artists talk about important LGBTQ+ milestones and historic personalities in their own, inimitable way, and how you can make a difference by sharing your unique story.